My Photo
Name:
Location: Cow Town, California, United States

Friday, November 10, 2006

Let Your Light Shine


The state of your soul is always expressed in your outer conditions and in the intangible influence which you radiate at large. There is a cosmic law that nothing can permanently deny its own nature. Emerson said "What you are shouts so loudly that I cannot hear what you say." In the Bible, the "city" stands for consciousness, and the "hill" or "mountain" means prayer or spiritual activity. "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help." "Except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain." The soul built upon prayer cannot be hidden; it shines out brightly throught the life that it lives. It speaks for itself, but in utter silence, and does much of its best work unconsciously. Its mere presence heals and blesses all around it without special effort.

Never try to force other people to accept spiritual truth. Instead, see to it that they are so favorably impressed by your own life and conduct, and the peace and joy that radiate from you, that they will come running to you of their own accord, begging you to give them the wonderful thing that you have. "I, if I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me." To do this is to make your soul truly the city upon a hill that cannot be hidden because it is the City of God. Let your light shine to the glorifying of your Father.

Emmet Fox, The Sermon on the Mount- published in the 1930's....possibly written well before that...

4 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

I love you, Michelle, you are my FRIEND! (See Darla's blog) :>)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

PS About time you posted!!!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

"The soul built upon prayer cannot be hidden; it shines out brightly throught the life that it lives. It speaks for itself, but in utter silence, and does much of its best work unconsciously. Its mere presence heals and blesses all around it without special effort."

Wow! That's how I want my soul to speak! And moreso without even being consciously aware of it, healing and blessing all around.

Oh, Lord, show me your ways. Make me more like you.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I confess that I have not checked your blog in a bit (or hardly any one else's for that matter)...so God that I would today. "The soul built upon prayer..." is a conversation I had with the Lord this morning. The fact that I was being negligent in that area...the fact that is was showing and I am sowing what I am reaping...

Such a beautiful word. Thank you Michelle.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home